Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day 2

After a brief resistance at the start of the innings, just when I thought that the Kenyans were getting any better at the gentlemen's game, they collapsed like a pack of cards (or for that matter like cycles in a cycle stand). I know this sounds cliche but the way the Kenyan batting unfolds is a cliche as well and hence I have not bothered to find a better term.

The first game got over even before the second was about to start. In the other game of the day, technically both the teams were playing on home grounds - the Canadian team is comprised of Indian, Pakistani and Lankan expatriates. I was not expecting anything out of the ordinary from the Canadians but I hoped that in chasing a big target, John Davison would come up with another one of his blistering knocks (the one which we have been waiting for since the match against the West Indians in WC 2003). Alas I can only say that this cup was an opportunity for the Canadian players to enjoy a trip to their home at their board's expense.
Such performances more than provide an excuse for the ICC's decision of banning associates from future editions of the world cup. I hope that the Irish and the Dutch prove the ICC wrong and cause a few upsets here.

Among other things, Somdev Devvarman, India's lone hope in tennis meets Roger Federer in the first round of the Dubai Tennis Championships and I just feel proud that an Indian is competing in a field that comprises of Fedex and Djoker. Being an ardent fan of Federer, I honestly do not know whom to support! But I guess it does not matter who I cheer for and I am happy to know that I will not cry myself to sleep if Federer loses.

Meanwhile Day 3 is another don't care day where Australia play Zimbabwe. The Zimbabweans beat the Aussies in a Twenty20 world cup match in South Africa in 2007 and I hope that we at least get to see a contest. Nothing is more exhilarating than seeing fringe players from weaker teams rise to the occasion and push the bar right up by playing the tournament of their lives - because that is what makes history and that is what the world cup is for!

Adios \m/

No comments: